Sunday, July 11, 2010

DB's and a ton of networking events

There seems to be no way for me to properly begin this update about my last week. I got really sick from all of the networking events I had to attend. They weren't entirely no fun, but they were just WAY too much. I dont even know where to begin. There are days where we would have as much as 4 socials (morning, lunch, afternoon, happy hour), and on friday it just completely went over board with first a whole day of bonding activities like playing games in teams to get to know each other better, then we all got completely rained on, which explains why i felt extremelly ill over the weekend. The day didn't end there. We then went to 2 happy hours back to back: Stuff Yer Face and Olive Branch in New Brunswick. I actually kind of enjoyed it. I mean, not everyone in the program is a complete douche. I only have problem with most of the fellows at BMS but not everyone in the program. Sadly, the people who i click with more are all fellows from other companies. The guys who i carpooled with to the school events on Friday were from BMS as well and they were completely psycho. Our event went from 8 to noon then the 2 happy hours lasted until 5pm and they still didn't want to go home. I had to basically tell them that i have plans with my roommate (which was true) and literally dragged them out of there. And by then they were still texting on their DB blackberry about poker games with previous year's fellow while we were sitting in the car. In the meantime they could not say enough good things about these social events. I GET IT, YOU LOVE TO MAKE CONNECTIONS. you love to party, you love to pretend every joke the director tells is the funniest sh*t you've ever heard in your life. Even other fellows were coming over to me and telling me that these guys were too much of kiss asses. all i could say was, just be glad you are not at BMS.

During these networking events i usually try to circulate and talk to different people. most of them are nice and normal. but there are some who are complete turn offs. I personally feel somewhat unfortuante that i'm at this company as opposed to the others that are more laid back. We have the biggest number of fellows of all the companies, and i'm the only one not from the east coast and is an asian female. it normally doesn' tbother me but i'm feeling some animosity or indifference from the other fellows. some of the other girls were down right bitchy, talking like a typicaly sorority girl who makes poor eye contacts and talked only of drinking and partying nonstop with that annoying valley girl voice. only 2 of the female fellows seem to have some kind of sanity in them. the other guys were all straight up D-bags except two. and you know you are a D bag when you try to apologize for being a D-bag (don't be, you ARE one).

I apologize for the seeminly depressing post. I actually really enjoyed some of these socials and i met some cool people through that and tasted some really interesting beer and tried out cheap fun local bars on the east coast. I am only annoyed at the fact that i am somewhat stuck in the position I have as i explained to my parents today. Because I felt the animosity within my peers in my immediate BMS group i had to push myself harder to prove that I can be one of them. and then i pushed myself in all of the events to be as social as i can be even though i have less of a reason to be as aggressive since my program is: 1-year, and i really don't plan to stay in NJ after this. I guess a part of me just wants to show that 'dont think you're the only person who can do this. i dont have to be a brown nose and i got to where I am and i'm gonna show you how it's done." So that 好勝心 sort of back fired so i lost my voice completely after rushing back from the networking events on friday. I pretty much spent the entire weekend recuperating and just shopping for work clothes because that's the only activity that doesn't require talking very much.

Speaking of shopping, I am definitely becoming more concientious now about my spending since my tiny little pay check won't last me very long. I noticed that what i have from CA is not nearly formal enough for work. it IS formal in my definition, but other female fellows are definitely BRINGING it. So that in terms makes me look somewhat casual. Therefore i set out on a mission to find reasonably priced cute work clothes this weekend. I visited Marshall last weekend and was unfruitful. Then I stopped by the closest little dinky mall this weekend and it was frustrating. didn't have too many shops in it and all of my sizes seemed to be sold out. and i attribute that to the overwhelming Indian population we have here in my area. And i dont mean this in a racist way but Indian females like us share a very petite frame. so you can guess that wherever there is a sale, all of the S, XS are gone. and I'm one lazy female to shop on the frist day of sale so i was left with a bunch of Larges or XL's.

However today, i decided to venture out farther into the closest outlet - the Jackson Premium outlet in NJ. And there was hardly anyone there! unlike the outlets in CA which are located far from the city and full of Asian people (REALLY), it was so empty that you can drive you car from store to store to avoid having to carry your bags. So it was indeed a great shopping day at the outlet. I got 2 pairs of Nine West shoes for under $25 each, and a bunch of tops at CK. I decided to call it a day before i hit Banana or JCrew because I deemed this to be enough for the next couple weeks. I'm still very glad that now i know NJ's taxes are so much lower and no one hangs around the outlet so i can finish all of my shopping there. :D I love it when you can get good quality clothes at bargain price.

Well, i better hit the bed soon. i have been using Cepacol throat spray as well as gargling with salt water and taking Advil for my sore throat. although nothing has improved much i'm getting 50% of my voice back. hopefully this will go away entirely before our next event. sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you don't need to pay sales tax for clothes in NY? Maybe I was wrong. Another thing you can do is to buy online. But you probably need to find a brand that you know there cut/size fits you first. Then, you can start to shop on its website when you don't have time to go shopping. But from what you wrote, it seems like going to the outlet is even easier:)

    ReplyDelete