Sunday, July 4, 2010

A bunch of little ones

6/30

Mattress arrived, along with my desk and chair order all from Walmart. The mattress arrived looking like a barrel. So they essentially vaccummed the air out (i didn't know you can do this with spring mattresses) and rolled up the mattress. I sincerely feel horrible for whoever has to deal with my delivery because I specifically chosen Walmart after weighing all my other options (i do not make reckless decisions). The fact that they deliver to your door (i live on the third floor with no elevator access) is like holy grail to me. So I decided against buying stuff off of other people on craigslist because 1) my car wont fit; 2) i can't carry them by myself; 3) i don't want to go to a stranger's house to look at a $10 furniture by myself; 4) i can't bother my roommate cuz she has a job and i barely know her. And if the new stuff cost just as much as some of the stuff people are selling online, and I dont have to pay for delivery or carry these crap up my tiny staircase, then why not? I was HAPPY to finally unpack my mattress, it slowly unrolled and expanded (what a sight) into a medium firm mattress. I super likie! now my room is starting to look more like it.

I met up with a fellow who's also starting at my company for brunch. she seems nice enough. we talked a lot about our fears of moving so far away from home and our backgrounds. i walked away from brunch feeling quite good.

At night my roommate took me to this mexican place in town called On The Border. Pretty good street style mini tacos, and happy hour drinks. will definitely come back (and pretty likely since there's not that many places in town to rotate). :P


7/1: First day @BMS

Today is orientation day. We have about 9 ppl? everyone seems okay. a few definitely give off that snooty vibe but i wasn't going to let that bother me (now). also ran into someone who interviewed me once at the conference and later when i was brought back onsite by other departments pretended not to know me. but NOW he's saying hi and playing the 'we already know each other don't be a stranger' type of thing. this is why i like industry, but hate the people. they are unlike the super chill dudes who actually do the science part of lab work, and more like the greasy business world dudes. So fickle. but i will play your game since i am here.

Went home, crashed. too much socializing sucks me dry. can't be THAT upbeat for THAT long. ironed clothes like mad, and burnt my thumb ouch! ><> restaurants). It was a place inside a small shopping center in the middle of nowhere. the Fileto Pomodoro was not half bad.

When we walked out, someone informed me about my tire being really flat. i decided to stop by a gas station but before I could do that, my tire started making this scary screeching sound I had to pull over and stop. at this point my tire was so flat that it folded itself like a dough. I freaked out and called AAA (third time this year for their service). if my roommate wasn't in the car witih me, i prolly wouldn't have been able to locate myself. i could see a gas station half a mile away and THAT WAS IT! i was parked on a road...that would be my best try as a city girl. Oh, and while i'm at it. i hate the so-called Jughandle Turn...meaning you have to turn RIGHT in order to turn LEFT or make a U-TURN. see this explanation. I am sure the rest of the world agrees with me that it's a stupid design. it makes it super easy for you to pass your destination and have to drive for another 5 min on the highway before you can find an exit that will let you u-turn or left turn, and THEN you'd have to get on the other side, get off, get on this side of the road again for a do-over. so it takes me twice as long to get anywhere.

anyway, SUPER not happy about the indents of today.

7/3:

Stopped by Pepboys to get a new spare. E called and we chatted a bit. i miss her, or rather, the way we used to be. pampered myself and decided to get nails done, and got a call from Ingrid from HI! I love that girl she's super sweet and she's one of the reasons i feel bad about leaving HI at the end of my rotation. You can't always be with the people who you meet in your life who have so much potential to be one of your closest friends. :( Stopped by Marshalls but it's not that great here. the brands are unknown and no work appropriate shoes sold here. The Marshalls in CA are like Nordstrom Rack. I see no reason you need to go to a regular store when Marshall is like the outlet of name brands. but i digress, i'm not in CA right now.
Then stopped by Whole Foods and LOVED the selection of prepared foods there. the sushi looked crappy, but everything else looked yummy. for dinner i had shrimp cocktail and mixed salad bar entrees from Whole Foods. YUM.

7/4:

woke up to some healthy brunch i made: cornbeef hash + bagel with cherry cream chess + milk + vitamine + blueberries + Ranier Cherries. Then went to Borders to try to catch up on some reading for the job. Then stopped by Walmart and got everything i needed (including a screwdriver to finish my furniture assembly).
Went to the pool and swam/sunbathed while on the phone with sis. talked to R on the phone while getting reading to meet a local guy who I contacted for housing but didn't end up living with. Never saw him in person but he turned out to be a lot older (like in his late 40s or 50s? ) The convo was stimulating as we were very similar in backgrounds. He was saying he was happy to meet someone who also stayed in SD, LA, and now here who's also Taiwanese and knows drugs (he teaches pharmacology). Was nice enough to show me around downtown Princeton. However, maybe it's me, but i tend to get a little paranoid about situations like this. I don't think he completely sees me as a daughter in that sense, but i am definitely A LOT younger than he is. I don't mind meeting locals but i don't want unnecessary trouble. he asked if i needed help with anything and i politely declined.

I then came home and assembled my desk, leather chair with air pump, and floor lamp. who needs a man when you've got a working screwdriver? ;)

JUST KIDDING....

1 comment:

  1. 剛搬到新的地方的確有很多需要克服的恐懼或困難,不過總會漸入佳境的! 希望你能碰到多一點合得來的好人,讓生活快樂一點囉! 真的無聊就來找我玩吧:) (機場代碼 DTW)

    ReplyDelete