Sunday, July 4, 2010

6/29: Day 1 (Backdated)

My day started with a phone call from the car shipping company. He was on time, and I was barely waking. Because he couldn’t drive his car inside of this neighborhood I agreed to meet him on the big street out front. However, my building is located on the very inside of this apt neighborhood. 15 min after I started walking he called again and drove my car to meet in the middle. It was a hot, even at 930am.

I then spent the day putting things away. I was happy to reunite with my baby car, which has 80% of my stuff in the back. I now officially have my PJs, my towels, my winter clothes, bookcase and drawers and I am happy. I went to the nearest McD and on the way found an asian market which is located 5 min from me (Joy!).
I have to say I’m missing CA a little already. I’ve discovered about 90% of my immediate surroundings. And I am finding myself wishing that I have company of my friends and family back in CA. Although at this point I find myself handling the pressure/anxiety surprisingly well (I was expecting myself to bawl my eyes out or having to take Xanax). I suppose it’s because the fact that I have my car to drive around and objects I brought from home made it that much better. After I organized everything my room looked surprisingly familiar. Now I am just missing my bed so I can have something to sit on.
A part of me feels that I am too old for this. Living like a college student who still has roommates well into her late twenties and who knows for how much longer. There’s still a lot of pretentiousness so that your roommate doesn’t see how you really are at home. This is the inconvenience associated with having a roommate. The sharing, the splitting of everything. Although it’s a very good way to meet local friends, fast, if they are indeed nice people.
Another part is that ONE is just too small a unit when you’re talking about making future plans. I would like to do a lot of things and go a lot of places. But on days such as today, since I am entering this program by myself, even though I want to explore nearby towns/local areas, I can’t very well walk into an attraction by myself. And then you feel that you’re just spending the day passing time as you go. Whereas the people who you really want to spend time with are back home, in CA or Taiwan. I am doing things that are familiar to me, since this is still within the United States. But I’m at a CVS/Target/McDs/grocery store thousands of miles away from the people who I usually go with. It makes me sad. So in that sense, I doubt that I can do a year in Europe by myself. Well, that and the fact that I would like to be fully functional. I do not wish to be viewed as an exotic being wherever I go.
So now I’m waiting in vain until the moment I start my job. But I must go take a shower now before I crash on the couch for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment