Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Salsa class

So last week after discussing it with my roommate forever and never put it to action, we went to the salsa class at Princeton University for the first time. the first hour was somewhat a tramatizing experience for me because we actually inadvertently joined their intermediate class. My roommate was able to handle it, but i was a super beginner. so i pretty much looked like a dumb a** the whole time, not even knowing my basic steps. I'm sure i looked super robotic and my footwork was all wrong, which probably made all my rotating dancing partners mad because they were trying to lead me, and i wasn't following. :/

So this time we went to the BEGINNER'S class. It was A LOT more fun because i actually got the basic footwork down, so i was making some pretty nice twirls and switching positions with my partner. I could actually dance the whole song salsa-style! :D Although i still somewhat suspect that i look robotic from the waist up, that's still a HUGE improvement from what i know before. My hope is that, by the end of the fellowship year, i can hit the salsa clubs and actually have fun in them (disclaimer: not like the usual night clubs. as seen in movies, people actually go to dance salsa...:) like Jennifer Aniston in Along Came Polly?) When done right salsa can be a super fun and sexy dance (as seen in Dancing with the Stars)....

Anyway, the class, oddly enough, actually have a lot of guys enrolled in it. I was expecting some really scary awkward nerds (from my ballroom dancing experience in college), but these guys were all really nice and courteous, no one was aggressive or pervertive in anyway. So that's a big relief. And a lot of them are actually international. So you've got italian, swedish, indian...etc. Not a bad thing, but i also suspect that if i develop a little crush on any of them, might not be the smartest thing to do, since 1) they dont have a car, 2) they can't legally reside here in the US, and 3) they will leave. so most likely, friend potential at most. :/ As much as i find accents cute and european culture amazing....

ok. thinking too much. gotta hit the bed now. let's hope i turn into a salsa-dancing goddess in 40 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Oh... I want to go to those classes so much. Too bad I don't have time and my husband doesn't enjoy dancing as much:P

    All 3 reasons you listed above will not be any problem at all if you do develop a relationship with one of them. (1) you have a car, and they will eventually have a car; (2) you can move to Europe; and (3) they might not leave if you are here:)

    ReplyDelete